Bruce R. Saran, MD Macular Degeneration, Retinal Detachment, Retina Surgery, Diabetic Retinopathy
Bruce R. Saran, M.D. is a board-certified and fellowship-trained retina surgeon specializing in the medical and surgical management of all vitreoretinal diseases. Utilizing highly advanced technology and equipment such as digital fundus imaging and OCT angiography, Dr. Saran diagnoses and treats macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal tears, retinal detachments, macular holes, and macular puckers.
Dr. Saran frequently participates in clinical trials in pursuit of future treatments for vitreoretinal diseases. In addition, he regularly contributes to the community by lecturing on the advancements in vitreoretinal care including for The Macula Vision Research Foundation. Dr. Saran serves as reviewer for two prestigious ophthalmology journal publications: Retina and Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. He also holds consultative positions on the advisory boards of several international retinal pharmaceutical corporations.
Dr. Saran became a retina specialist in order to help patients facing challenging and life-altering conditions. With decades of experience providing retina care to Chester County, he has refined his ability to create personalized treatment plans that meet the unique needs and expectations of each individual. Dr. Saran recognizes the importance of educating his patients so they have complete faith and understanding in the care they receive.
- Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Rochester, New York
- Doctor of Medicine degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, graduating Magna Cum Laude
- Residency in Ophthalmology at the University of Illinois at Chicago Eye and Ear Center
- Fellowship in Retina and Vitreous Disease at the Scheie Eye Institute of the University of Pennsylvania
Positions And Distinctions
- Attending Surgeon at Chester County Hospital
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School
- Advisory Board, Gene Therapy for Macular Degeneration, F.M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Top Doctor in Main Line Today magazine
- Top Doctor in Philadelphia magazine
- Top Ophthalmologist in Pennsylvania by Health Tap
- Top Physician in Suburban Life Magazine
- Kiedeans, Senior Honor Society, University of Rochester
- Elected “Best Senior Resident” UIC Eye Center, Chicago
Dr. Saran is a dedicated cyclist and long-time member of the West Chester Cycling Club. With over a decade of experience, he regularly participates in charitable events such as the Challenge for Cancer Bike Tour, benefiting patients in Chester County, and the Arava Hazon Ride, supporting environmental conservation. Commuting to work by bike is a regular part of his routine. In addition to his passion for cycling, Dr. Saran is also an amateur artist, and enjoys acrylic painting and creating stained glass pieces.