John J. DeStafeno, MD Cornea, Cataract, LASIK, Refractive Surgery
John DeStafeno, MD is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in all aspects of refractive cataract surgery and laser surgery as well as the treatment of complex corneal diseases. He completed his 2-year fellowship at Duke University which focused on clinical research and the medical and surgical management of anterior segment disease.
He is one of the most experienced cataract and refractive surgeons in the region, and has received recognition both locally and nationally for his excellence in eye care. His accolades include numerous Top Doctor and Surgeon awards, as well as the prestigious American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award for his dedication to enhancing the field. In addition, he also enjoys educating the future of eye care, as he instructs ophthalmology residents at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
Dr. DeStafeno was led to a career in medicine by the unique opportunity to impact a person’s life in a positive way. He will treat you with compassion while listening to your needs and desires to ensure the best surgical and medical care for your eyes and vision. There are few things in life more vital than vision, and he understands and values the trust you place in him.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Siena/Albany Medical College Program in Science and Humanities, Albany, NY
- Doctor of Medicine degree from Albany Medical College
- Residency in Ophthalmology at Long Island Jewish Hospital, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, serving as chief resident senior year
- Two-year Clinical/Research Fellowship in Cornea, Refractive, and External Disease at the Duke University Eye Center, Duke College of Medicine
Position and Distinctions
- Attending Surgeon at the Chester County Hospital
- Certified Intralase LASIK surgeon
- Certified Wavelight LASIK surgeon
- Clinical Instructor for residents at Wills Eye Hospital/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Founding member Vanguard Ophthalmology Society
- Instructor, LASIK Surgery Course, American Academy of Ophthalmology
Awards and Honors
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award
- Top 300 Refractive Cataract Surgeons by Ocular Surgery News
- Top Doctor in Main Line Today magazine
- Top Doctor in Philadelphia magazine
- Top 250 Premium IOL Surgeons in Premier Surgeon magazine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Originally from New York, Dr. DeStafeno has grown to love Chester County and the Philadelphia region. He enjoys supporting local community arts, festivals, and sporting events with his wife and three children. He also loves playing tennis and traveling with his friends and family.