John J. DeStafeno, M.D. Cornea, Cataract, LASIK, Refractive Surgery
John DeStafeno, M.D. specializes in all aspects of refractive cataract and laser surgery as well as the treatment of complex corneal diseases. He completed his 2-year fellowship at Duke University which focused on clinical research and the medical and surgical management of anterior segment disease.
Dr. DeStafeno has brought several innovative medical and surgical treatments to our area and is an expert Blade-free LASIK surgeon. In addition, Dr. DeStafeno is the first surgeon in Chester County to perform DSAEK corneal transplantation.
Recognized both locally and nationally for his excellence in eye care, Dr. DeStafeno has received numerous Top Doctor and Surgeon Awards. For the past several years, he has been selected by peers to instruct the LASIK Surgery Course at the annual American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting. Dr. DeStafeno also enjoys educating the future of eye care, instructing ophthalmology residents at Wills Eye Hospital at Thomas Jefferson.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Siena/Albany Medical College Program in Science and Humanities, Albany, NY
- Doctor of Medicine degree from Albany Medical College
- Residency in Ophthalmology at Long Island Jewish Hospital, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, serving as chief resident senior year
- Two-year Clinical/Research Fellowship in Cornea, Refractive, and External Disease at the Duke University Eye Center, Duke College of Medicine
Position and Distinctions
- Attending Surgeon at the Chester County Hospital
- Certified Intralase No-Blade LASIK surgeon
- Certified Wavelight LASIK surgeon
- Clinical Instructor for residents at Wills Eye Hospital/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Founding member Vanguard Ophthalmology Society
- Instructor, LASIK Surgery Course, American Academy of Ophthalmology
Awards and Honors
- Top 300 Refractive Cataract Surgeons by Ocular Surgery News
- “Top Doc” in Main Line Today magazine
- “Top Physicians” in Philadelphia Magazine
- “Top 250 Premium IOL Surgeons” in Premier Surgeon magazine
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Hornaday Fellowship Award for Best Fellow in Ophthalmology at Duke University